: Reverse reads: "Campus, Denison University; Swasey Chapel and Swasey Observatory in background."
This is a photograph depicting a scene of the Denison University campus in Granville, Ohio. The Swasey Chapel and Observatory are seen in the background.
The Swasey Chapel and Observatory were named after Cleveland trustee and amateur astronomer Ambrose Swasey, the founder of the Warner and Swasey Company which built the observatory.
Swasey Chapel was built in 1924 and was the first building designed for the 1917 plan for Greater Denison. Swasey funded the project and the chimes in the chapel tower are a memorial for his wife. Today the chapel is used for religious service.
The Swasey observatory was built in 1909. Within the observatory are 3 telescopes used for astrophotography. It also houses an astronomy library and dark rooms. It was built using Vermont marble.
View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B13F08_013_001 Subjects
: Education; Universities and colleges; Buildings; Chapels; Science and technology; Astronomical observatories; Telescopes; Denison University; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project. Places
: Granville (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)