: Caption reads: "Darke Co., Greenville, O., Mar. 25, 1938. Court House, Broadway & W. Fourth St. Dedicated in 1874."
The Darke County Courthouse, located at 504 South Broadway, just south of West 4th Street in Greenville, Ohio. Designed by Edwin May, and built by Rouser & Rouser, the building was completed in 1874. The courthouse is designed in the Second Empire style with traces of Italianate style. The rectangular building is lined with Buena Vista sandstone with a rusticated foundation and smooth stones lining the floors above. The windows were designed as arches until long rectangular panels were placed during the renovation. Above each window is a decorative head casing in the shape of an arch or pediment. A central projection on the front facade is topped by a tower. The tower contains the main entrance with pilasters on either side holding a balcony. A pediment rests at the top floor and is surmounted by a statue of Justice. The tower rises to a dome which is capped by a spire. Four stone chimneys line the sides of the courthouse. The flat roof was once a mansard and is supported by a decorative entablature.
The large complex which combines the Courthouse, Sheriff's House and the Jail was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F07_001 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Courthouses--Ohio--History.; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Greenville (Ohio); Darke County (Ohio)