: The bronze lion sculpture was comissioned in 1907 by the Steele High School Decorative Arts Association. It was created by Anna Vaughn Hyatt Huntington in 1908, paid for by money raised by the students of the school.
During the flood of 1913, the lion was knocked off its base and had to be reinstalled in 1914. When the school was torn down in 1955, the statue was relocated to the front lawn of the Dayton Art Institute. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F09_042 Subjects
: Education; Schools; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Art and Entertainment; Sculpture; Plants and Animals Places
: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)