: League Park opened to the public on May 4, 1906 in Akron, Ohio. The park originally was located at the East End Grounds, but the location was unsatisfactory for play. The park then moved to the corner of Carroll and Beaver streets. The first game in the new stadium was between Newark and the Akron Tip-Tops. The Tip-Tops were a member of the Ohio & Pennsylvania League (O&P)which was considered to be a "C class" team. The Tip-Tops had much success, even winning the pennant from 1908-1911. In 1911, the O&P folded and the field became used by the University of Akron and Akron High School. It was also home to various semi-pro baseball teams. In 1920 the field became home to the Akron Pros, a charter member of the National Football League. Then in 1922 the field was sold to the Summit Growers association. The grounds were home to a farmers market from 1922-1976. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F02_015 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Sports; Sports and recreation facilities; Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Baseball; Baseball fields; Places
: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)