: Caption reads: "Picture of Leo the Lion at Zoo, Cincinnati, Ohio." On September 18, 1875, the Cincinnati Zoological Garden (now known as the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden) opened its doors. The zoo’s collection was very small, originally consisting of just eight monkeys, two grizzly bears, three deer, six raccoons, two elk, a buffalo, a hyena, a tiger, an alligator, a circus elephant, and over four hundred birds, including a talking crow. The zoo began earlier in the decade through the efforts of Andrew Erkenbrecher, a German immigrant. Influenced by European zoos, Erkenbrecher and the other trustees planned to place their animals in naturalistic, more rural settings than the menageries of New York or Chicago. View on Ohio Memory.
: LeothelionattheCincinnatiZoo Subjects
: Plants and Animals; Arts and Entertainment; Zoos; Zoo animals; Lions Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)