: Located at 304 Woodlawn Avenue, this sandstone home was originally the 1-story residence of Dr. Increase Mathews, the first physician in Muskingum County, who built it for his bride in 1804. In 1846 the property passed to his heirs, who added a second story and attic to the 3 foot stone walls and again expanded in 1884.
Late in 1936, when the old home was purchased by William H. Adams, it was modernized and redecorated, but the six fireplaces were retained. In 1970 it was given to the Pioneer and Historical Society by Mrs. F.F. (Dorothea Guthrie) Frazier. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F06_033 Subjects
: Architecture; Zanesville (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Physicians--Ohio Places
: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)