Singletary House doorway   Save
Singletary House doorway
Description: The Singletary House was located on the northwest corner of the public squre in Streetsboro, Ohio and was completed in 1828 for patriot and Revolutionary War veteran Colonel John Curtis Singletary, whose son became the second mayor of Akron. This frame house is the second oldest in Ohio’s Western Reserve and was the first frame house in Streetsboro. The building has also been a tavern and stagecoach stop for the Cleveland – Wellsville – Pittsburgh line, as well as the city's first post office and the housed the township's telephone operator. . In 1971, the home was purchased by Henry and Betty Defer, who had the house moved to their farm on State Route 14. In 2005, the Defer’s sold their 127 acre farm to the Woodmount Developers of Texas. The house was moved again in 2009, to make way for the Streetsboro Commons shopping mall, which is being developed by Woodmount and Wal-Mart, who donated $80,000 to help move the historic home to a nearby nature area where it will assume management by the newly formed Streetsboro Heritage Foundation. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F07_017
Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.
Places: Streetsboro (Ohio); Portage County (Ohio)