: Caption reads: "Ice skating on Brookside Pond, Ashland, Ohio." Brookside Park was constructed in 1917 as a result of fundraising by local jeweler Frank Downs and his pastor Rev. A. B. Robertson of the Christian church. The city of Ashland purchased the former Knapp Quarry for $450 and converted the old stone quarry into a duck pond area. Located off of Brookside Drive and Lindale Avenue, the park included the quarry area and surrounding six acres of land. Brookside Park expanded in later years, with the addition of a swimming pool, the Guy C. Myers Memorial Band Shell, baseball diamonds, basketball courts, tennis courts, shelter houses, shuffleboard, and horseshoes. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F13_011 Subjects
: Skaters; Ice skating; Winter sports; Ice; Sports; Arts and Entertainment; Geography and Natural Resources Places
: Ashland (Ohio); Ashland County (Ohio)