Shelter house at Mohican State Park photograph   Save
Shelter house at Mohican State Park photograph
Description: Caption reads: " Shelter House, erected by CCC Boys, in Mohican Forest Park, Ashland county, Ohio." Mohican State Park is located in southern Ashland County near Loudonville, Ohio. Mohican State Forest became a state park in 1949 and was known as Clear Fork State Park until 1966. The area, which marks the southern boundary of the Wisconsinan glacier, contains the Clear Fork gorge and acres of old-growth forest. It has been named a Registered National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) had a camp at the forest in the 1930s. The CCC was created on March 31, 1933 by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt as part of his New Deal. The Civilian Conservation Corps hired unemployed American men between eighteen and twenty-five years of age to work on various government projects. These projects focused upon road construction, flood control, reforestation, and soil erosion prevention. CCC workers also improved or constructed local, state, and national parks. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F13_009
Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Civilian Conservation Corps (U.S.); New Deal, 1933-1939
Places: Ashland County (Ohio)