: Caption reads: "Foundations for new bridge on Turkey Foot Road near Massillon, Ohio." The town of Massillon, located along the Tuscarawas River in Stark County, was named in 1826 by landowner James Duncan after Jean Baptiste Massillon, the Court Preacher to Louis IV of France. The new town incorporated the town of Kendal, located in the northeast section of Massillon, which had been founded by Thomas Rotch in 1812. In 1853, Massillon was incorporated as a village.
Massillon was known as the "wheat city" for many years, exporting wheat after the Ohio-Erie Canal opened in 1828. When the railroad came in 1852, industrial growth brought Pig-iron, glass, and coal mining industries. Another industry was developed by Joseph Davenport, the inventor, who founded the Massillon Bridge Company. Massillon became known for its steel and metal working activities and continues today in these areas. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F16_001_001 Subjects
: Transportation--Ohio--History.; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Bridges Ohio; Massillon (Ohio)--History; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Massillon (Ohio); Stark County (Ohio)