: A late Federalist style building located on the campus of Ohio University, Cutler Hall was built between the summer of 1816, when the cornerstone was laid, and September 1819. Opening was delayed by a lightening strike in August 1818 to the east end of the building, resulting in fire damage that had to be repaired. In 1888 the building underwent significant renovations including the raising of the roof by three feet and the narrowing and lengthening the windows. The clock on the cupola was a gift of the Class of 1914. By 1945, the building was in decline, having been unused since 1936. Although demolishment was advised, University president John C. Baker had the building completely renovated and restored, returning the roof height and windows to their original size.
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966, Cutler Hall is the oldest college building west of the Alleghenies and north of the Ohio River. Over the years, the building has acted as a dormitory, classroom building, laboratory, library, and museum, and currently houses offices of the president, the provost, and other senior administrative officers at Ohio University.
Also called College Edifice or the Center Building, the structure was renamed Cutler Hall in 1914 after Manasseh Cutler, one of the founders of Ohio University. A jack-of-all trades, Cutler was a Yale graduate and preacher who was well respected in the scientific and medical community. Dr. Cutler was a director of the real estate company, the Ohio Company of Associates, negotiating the purchase of lands in the then unsettled area of southeast Ohio. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F14_008 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Buildings; Education; Universities and colleges; Ohio University Places
: Athens (Ohio); Athens County (Ohio)