: Caption reads: "Third Street Bridge 1898, Dayton, Ohio, Montgomery County." Ohio has a large number of covered bridges, falling second only to Pennsylvania in quantity. Within the state of Ohio, Fairfield County and Ashtabula County lead the state in containing the most original covered bridges. The company advertised on the side of the bridge, M. Ohmer's Sons Co., had a furniture store located on the corner of Main and Second Streets in Dayton, Ohio in 1857. A family furniture business, the company was restructured and renamed M. Ohmer's Sons Co. in 1878 upon the retirement of father Michael and purchase by son John Francis. The company specialized in ornate, solidly built white oak furniture, supplying the furniture for many government buildings, including the furnishings for the Wood County Courthouse in 1895 and the Supreme Court Justice Bench and legislator's desks for the Florida State Capitol in 1902. The company also manufactured furniture for households, offices, and banks, selling many types of wooden filing cabinets. M. Ohmer's Sons Co. disbanded in 1927. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F17_004 Subjects
: Transportation--Ohio--History.; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Covered Bridges Ohio Places
: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)