: Caption reads: "West covered bridge, Newton Falls, Ohio." This photograph shows the double covered bridge in Newton Falls that was built over the west branch of the Mahoning River in 1856. The bridge seen here is a replacement of an 1832 bridge in the same location, and was constructed to fit the route of the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal that had just been completed. It was in use for 86 years before being closed in 1942 and replaced with a concrete span during World War II.
Nearby on the Mahoning's east branch is the Newton Falls covered bridge, constructed in 1831, which is the second oldest bridge still in existence in Ohio. It is also the only covered bridge in Ohio that has a covered walkway, which was added in 1921 for school children to cross the bridge on their way to a nearby school. The only remaining covered bridge in Trumbull County, the bridge is also the oldest covered bridge in Ohio that is still in operation at its original location. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F17_020 Subjects
: Transportation--Ohio--History.; Architecture; Covered Bridges Ohio; Rivers Places
: Newton Falls (Ohio); Trumbull County (Ohio)