: Caption reads: "Rookwood Pottery. Holy Cross Monastery. Ida St. Viaduct. Taken from Hill, North Side of Viaduct."
The Art Deco style Ida Street Viaduct was built for $100,000 in 1931, under the technical supervision of structural engineer J.R. Biedlinger. The reinforced concrete bridge, located on Ida St. between Monastery and Paradrome Streets, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1980.
The Holly Cross Church and Monastery were organized by the Passionist Brothers in 1871, first housing their monastery in an astronomical observatory at the top of Mt. Adams. They built a frame church adjacent to the monastery in 1873. Both buildings were later replaced, with a new church built in 1895 and the current monastery built in 1901.
The Rookwood Pottery, conceived by Maria Longworth Nichols and named after the Longworth estate, produced its first pottery in 1880. The factory moved to the Mt. Adams location in 1891. After prosperity in the 1920s, the company did not fare well during the Great Depression, and was sold to Walter Schott in 1941. The company moved to Starkville, Mississippi in 1960 and closed in 1967. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F17_037 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Viaducts--Ohio; Rookwood Pottery Company; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)