: Caption reads: "Suspension Bridge, taken from underneath Bridge at foot of Vine st." Designed by engineer John A. Roebling, the Covington and Cincinnati Bridge was completed in December of 1866, following a decade of construction which was delayed by the Civil War and financial constraints. At the time it was built, the bridge had the longest main span in the world and was also the first bridge to use both vertical suspenders and diagonal stays branching out from the towers. The bridge was remodeled in 1894 to widen the deck and to accommodate more weight. The bridge, known locally as “The Suspension Bridge,” was renamed the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge in 1984. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F17_039 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio); Suspension bridges--1930-1940 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)