: Originally founded in 1870, the University of Akron was known as Buchtel College. The college was established by the Universalist Church with financial help from Akron industrialist, and Universalist Church member, John Buchtel. The college was housed entirely in one building named Old Buchtel Hall. Old Buchtel Hall was destroyed by fire in 1899 and replaced by a new Buchtel Hall, which is still in use by the University of Akron. In 1909, Buchtel College became a private, non-denominational school, before becoming a municipal university of the city of Akron in 1913. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B01F02_017 Subjects
: Education; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works; Buchtel College of Liberal Arts; Universities and colleges; University of Akron; College campuses; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)