Chapel of the Holy Spirit photograph   Save
Chapel of the Holy Spirit photograph
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows The Chapel of the Holy Spirit, once located at 432 East Fifth Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Chapel of the Holy Spirit was a Roman Catholic church that was demolished during the 1980s when Procter & Gamble expanded its headquarters. Built in 1927, the red brick church with a Gothic limestone façade and stone and copper turret, was designed by Edward J. Schulte. Other buildings demolished during the Proctor & Gamble expansion included the Allen Temple, the Fenwick Club, and the Wesley Chapel, once the oldest religious building in the city, having been built in 1831. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_032
Subjects: Churches; Chapels; Roman Catholic Church; Architecture; Religion in Ohio
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)