: Caption reads: "Rufus Putnam House in Campus Martius Museum, Marietta, Ohio."
This is a view of the entrance of the Rufus Putnam Residence in Marietta, Ohio. It was one of the dwellings in Campus Martius, the fortification erected by the Ohio Company, ca. 1790-1799.
The plaque next to the door reads:
"This house was one of the dwellings in Campus Martius, the fortification erected by the Ohio Company when the first settlement in the Northwest Territory was made at Marietta in 1788. It stood next to the southeast blockhouse and was built by General Rufas Putnam, who made it his home until his death in 1824. It then became the property of Judge Arius NYL from whose daughter Minerva Tupper NYL it was purchased in 1919 by the State of Ohio. Erected by the Ohio Daughters of the American Revolution in 1927."
General Rufus Putnam was a Revolutionary War veteran and member of the Ohio Company who helped to found Marietta, Ohio and open the Northwest Territory for settlement. Putnam established the first Ohio Company settlement on the banks of the Ohio River. Known originally as Adelphia, the community soon became known as Marietta. To protect the settlement from Native American attacks, the settlers built a fortification known as the Campus Martius. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F01_008 Subjects
: Marietta (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Putnam, Rufus, 1738-1824; Campus Martius (Marietta, Ohio); Forts & fortifications--1770-1800 Places
: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)