: Caption reads: "Gothic Entrance: Covenant Presbyterian Church." The Covenant Presbyterian Church is located on the northwest corner of Limestone and North streets in Springfield, Ohio. In 1819, the First Presbyterian Society formed in Springfield with 27 members. Over the years, additional organizations formed: Second Presbyterian Church in 1861; Oakland Presbyterian Church in 1880; Third Presbyterian Church in 1880. The First and Second Presbyterian Church buildings were located downtown and by 1919 both were in need of new buildings. The churches joined as Covenant Presbyterian Church, named in honor of a 1638 covenant written in Scotland to maintain the purity of the Presbyterian faith. In 1926 the cornerstone was laid for a new church building. It was completed in November 1927. The church is an example of Late Gothic Revival architecture, contains approximately one and one-half acres of floor space, and features a 114-foot tower. It is built primarily of gray Indiana limestone to the design of George Savage, a Philadelphia architect. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F02_003 Subjects
: Presbyterian Church in Ohio; Springfield (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Springfield (Ohio); Clark County (Ohio)