Emery Arcade photograph   Save
Emery Arcade photograph
Description: Caption reads: "Emery arcade rear entrance to Netherland Plaza Hotel. Cincin Ohio." The Art Deco style Netherland complex, which included the Netherland Plaza Hotel, the Carew Office Tower, and the Emery Arcade, was designed by architect Walter W. Ahlschlager with contributions from William Delano. The ground level shopping arcade, which served as the main lobby of the complex, spanned the distance of a city block, connecting to the offices on one end and the hotel on the other. Conceived by civic leader John J. Emery, Jr to revive the downtown area as a city center, the complex took the place of an Emery hotel, an Emery shopping arcade, and a popular department store. The structure was constructed and decorated in a little over a year, and completed in 1931 during the Great Depression. The complex was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1994. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F13_005
Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Cincinnati; Shopping--Ohio--Cincinnati; Art deco (Architecture)--Ohio--Cincinnati
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)