: St. John Catholic Church is located at 777 South Main Street in Lima, Ohio. The church began in 1899 when the Bishop gave permission for a parish in South Lima. Land was purchased for $6,200 and a school building was erected on the property in 1901 with Mass being held on the third floor of the building. By 1912, property adjoining the school had been purchased and a the basement for the new church was built. The parishioners worshiped there, in the basement, for 12 years before the church was completed in 1924. This red brick church has two symmetrical towers and a portico supported by 6 Corinthian columns. Above the portico stands a statue, presumably of St. John. Renovations on the church were completed in 1971 and 1990. A new school was built in 1958 (and closed in 1973), and the original demolished in 1959. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F12_006 Subjects
: Catholic Church--Ohio; Churches; Religion in Ohio; Catholic Church; Lima (Ohio)--History--Pictorial works; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Lima (Ohio); Allen County (Ohio)