: In Cincinnati, the area between Martin Luther King Drive East and Erkenbrecher Avenue between Burnett Avenue and Eden Ave has had hospitals since the late 1800’s, and is sometimes called Pill Hill by the locals. Many of the original buildings have been torn down to make way for newer, more modern facilities.
The area between Goodman Street and Elland Avenue was the General (City) Hospital and was constructed between 1909 and 1915 and had 25 buildings on 65 acres of land. It was built to replace the overcrowded Commercial Hospital that was downtown. University Hospital, the teaching hospital of the University of Cincinnati now occupies this land.
Children Hospital was, and still is located from Elland Drive to Erkenbrecher Avenue, but has since been renamed to the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. The hospital was founded in 1883 and was called The Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and once was located at Eleanor Place and Mason Street, the present site of the Christ Church Hospital. A five story building, built in 1928 on the corner of Elland Avenue and Bethesda Avenue (now called Albert Sabin Way) which was the first built on its’ present site, was demolished in 2003. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F14_030 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Hospitals--Ohio--Cincinnati; Cincinnati. Children's Hospital Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)