: Department store magnate Frederick H. Alms built the Alms Apartments in Walnut Hills in 1891, which later became Hotel Alms. The still standing annex building, now the Alms Hill Apartments, was designed by Henry Hake and erected in 1925. The Cincinnati Times-Star radio station WKRC operated inside. The original structure, designed by Samuel Hannaford & Sons, was located at Victory Parkway (the U.S. 50) and East McMillan Street, and the annex, as shown in the photograph, at the corner of Victory Parkway and Locust Street (now William Howard Taft Road). Harry Hake founded a Cincinnati architecture firm that persisted from 1897 to 1978, through three generations of Hake architects, designing Crosley Field and the Ohio State University Library. His work is noted for wittily applying historical forms to modern structures, usually Beaux-Arts or Arts and Crafts. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F14_028 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Hotels--Ohio--Walnut Hills (Cincinnati); Hake, Harry Sr., 1871-1955 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)