: Reverse reads: "Marie Mont Church, Cincinnati Churches."
Mariemont is among the earliest American planned communities, the work of philanthropist Mary Emery (nee Mary Muhlenberg Hopkins) and planner John Nolen, intended as a "model town" and antidote to the dirt and density of Cincinnati.
Mariemont Memorial Church, sometimes called Mariemont Chapel, was designed in the spirit of an English - Norman church, by Mary Emery and Charles J. Livingood and stands at the center of Mariemont Village, on the site of the burying grounds for the pioneer familes of Stites and Ferris. It is built of limestone obtained from a quarry in nearby Indian Hill, with a tall wooden spire covered with lead sheets. The roof is made of stone tiles, not slate. It was blown off during high winds and was brought from England by architect Louis Jallad, having previously been on the Calcot Tithe barn, which once belonged to the Cistercian monks in Kingswood Abbey and dates from around 1300 B.C. The church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, with the whole of Mariemont Village. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B02F16_035 Subjects
: Mariemont (Ohio)--History; Churches--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)