Abandoned canal boat in Montgomery County, Ohio   Save
Abandoned canal boat in Montgomery County, Ohio
Description: Probably produced in the 1910s, the original description for this photograph reads "Canal Scene Today." This photograph was included in a large group of photographs of the Miami and Erie Canal taken in Montgomery County, Ohio, but there is no other supporting documentation. Completed in 1845, the Miami and Erie Canal connected the Ohio River in Cincinnati and Lake Erie in Toledo. This photograph is one of many visual materials collected for publication in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F07_011
Subjects: Canals--Ohio; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio); Canal-boats; Canals--Ohio--Pictorial works; Works Progress Administration; Ohio Federal Writers' Project
Places: Montgomery County (Ohio)