Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden   Save
Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
Description: Heading reads "The Cincinnati Enquirer, Sesqui-Centential" Caption reads "Having Fun At The Zoo". This photograph (ca. 1935-1943) is of a photograph from the Cincinnati Enquirer newspaper. The Cincinnati Zoo is the second oldest zoo in the United States, having opened in 1875, and is located in the Avondale community. Initially occupying 65 acres, surrounding blocks and areas in nearby suburbs have been added to zoo property. Founded by Cincinnati native Jonathan Schoonover and designed by Theodor Fundeisen, it was originally named the Cincinnati Zoological Gardens. The largest exhibit of the zoo was it's collection of birds, with over four hundred. The rest of the collection was small, having only eight monkeys, two bear, three deer, six racoons, two elk, and one each of buffalo, hyena, tiger, alligator and elephant. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F01_027
Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--History; Cincinnati Zoo; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Newspapers; Cincinnati enquirer
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)