: Dated January 1938, this photograph shows the Audubon House in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Located at 414 East Third Street, the Audubon House is a three story stucco building built for John James Audubon, ornithologist and painter. Audubon went to Cincinnati in 1819 to be a taxidermist for the Western Museum, but he completed his work in six months. He painted portraits and tutored art classes in an effort of support himself, but in October 1820, he decided to move to New Orleans, taking his thirteen year old assistant Joseph Mason, with him.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_b03f03_002_001 Subjects
: Architecture; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)