Beau Brummell Tie Company in Cincinnati, Ohio   Save
Beau Brummell Tie Company in Cincinnati, Ohio
Description: Dated to the 1930s or early 1940s, this photograph shows the Beau-Brummel Tie Company in Cincinnati, Ohio. A note on the photograph's reverse reads "Beau-Brummel Tie Company. East McMillan Street. Former Proctor & Collier. Cincinnati, Ohio". Located at 440 East McMillan Street in Cincinnati, Ohio, this Tudor Revival style building was built in 1921 for Proctor and Collier as the new advertising agency's offices and printing plant. It was designed by Elzner & Anderson to compliment the Burroughs & Deeken's designed Time Hill building across the street, which housed the Gruen Watchmakers Guild. The tower housed one of the city's first sprinkler systems. In 1936, the building was purchased by the Beau Brummell Tie Company. It was listed with the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and in the 1990's both this building and Time Hill were purchased by the Union Institute & University, a non-traditional institution for adult education. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_b03f03_006_001
Subjects: Architecture; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc; Neckties--History; Industries--Ohio
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)