: Reverse reads "Cinci., O., Mar. 1938. Pounsford Home, College Hill, Ohio."
The photograph depicts a white two story Federal style home, with a small front porch, and a barn behind the house.
Pounsford house was located in the College Hill community of Cincinnati Ohio. This photograph is most likely of the home which used to be located on Belmont Avenue, which, if true, means that this home was originally that of Captain A.D.E. Tweed, and built in 1865. Tweed’s home and 20acres was sold to Arthur H. Pounsford in 1883 and demolished in 1969 to make way for a new building for the First United Church of Christ. It is possible that the carriage remained, and was used by the church. A portion of the front yard of the Pounsford home was sold at an unknown point, and new houses built.
It is also possible that this was the Pounsford home known as Chatfield, also located in the College Hill area, on Hamilton Avenue. This property was donated to the College Hill Presbyterian Church in 1953 (the white frame house at that time being over 100 years old). It was used as residence of head custodians until it was demolished in 1981.
Arthur (A.H.) Pounsford, father of Harry Graham (H.G.), and founder of Pounsford Stationary Company, died in 1894 and buried in Spring Grove cemetery. He was an important business man, but also served many years as councilman, president of the Village Improvement Society, and involved with many other public projects. Arthur H. married Sarah M. in December, 1864. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F05_013_001 Subjects
: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)