Max C. Fleischmann home - Edgewood   Save
Max C. Fleischmann home - Edgewood
Description: Caption reads "Edgewood - College Residence" Reverse reads "Was Max Fleischmann home, now Edgewood - College Residence, Cincinnati, Ohio" The home of Max C. Fleischmann, also known as Edgewood, was located on Lafayette Avenue, just west of the Academy of the Sacred Heart’s driveway at 525 Layfayette Avenue, in the Clifton community of Cincinnati, Ohio. The two story, stucco house, designed by James Gilmore, was built for Mrs. Sara Fleischmann in the 1880’s by her grandfather George Schoenberger, as a wedding present. Some of the interior decoration inside the home was done by Charles Pedretti. The house was later bought by the Convent of the Sacred Heart for use as a dormitory. Max C. Fleicshmann was not only owner of Fleischmann Yeast (founded by his father Charles, and his uncle Maximilian in 1868), but, among many things, is recognized as being the first commander for an observation balloon school for US forces in Cuperly, France. The Academy of the Sacred Heart was a Catholic and Protestant boarding school for girls. The building at 525 Lafayette Avenue, originally called The Windings and home to hog baron William Neff, was built in 1868, and eventually sold to the Academy because he found it too costly to maintain. The school closed in 1970 and the building has since was converted into a condominium with seven units, in 1995 and again called The Windings, The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, under the name Sacred Heart Academy, in 1973. The area surrounding also has many new condominiums, including the area where Edgewood once stood. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F05_025_001
Subjects: Architecture; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Fleischmann, Max
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)