Lytle Park - Lincoln Statue   Save
Lytle Park - Lincoln Statue
Description: Caption reads: "Statue of Abraham Lincoln, in Lytle Park, Cincinnati. Facing the corner of East fourth and Lawrence Streets, this statue was modeled in bronze by George Grey Barnard, and was presented to the City of Cincinnati by Mr. and Mrs. Charles P Taft on March 31, 1917. From left to right in the background is the Anna Louise Inn, a residential hotel home for young women; the Marine Memorial, which bears the names of fifty-four Cincinnati Marines who fell during the World War: and the Michael Mullen Memorial Band-Stand, erected in 1935 by friends of this popular former councilman and civic leader." Lytle Park is 2.3 acres and bounded by Fourth Street and Lawrence Street in downtown Cincinnati. It is the original site of the home of General William Henry Lytle, the first Surveyor General of the State of Ohio. A 15 foot bronze statue of Abraham Lincoln, donated by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Phelps Taft stands in the park, which initially caused a storm of critical controversy with its realism. Concerts are often given at the Michael Mullen memorial bandstand. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F06_016_001
Subjects: Parks--Ohio--Cincinnati; Monuments & memorials--United States--1900-1940; Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865--Statues
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)