: Caption reads:
Some of the oldest and most interesting dolls in Mrs. Parke Smith's collection. The doll on the extreme left, named "Tobacco Road", came from the foothills of Tennessee about 1810. The doll next to it, dating from about 1820, went to California with the forty-niners. A wooden jointed doll, with all joints articulate, carved from bay poplar in the early 18th century (about 1740) by a wood carver who was evidently accustomed to carving shipheads, stands next on the right. The gentleman wears a home-spun suit (many of the older dolls also have home-spun underwear), and comes from Maine. The young lady on the extreme right wears an original dress and dates from about 1690. Photo by W.P.A. Photographer, Federal Project No. 1. (Writers') 7-17-36."
Cincinnati Art Museum
The Cincinnati Art Museum is located at 953 Eden Park Drive, in Eden Park. In 1880, Charles W. West of Cincinnati donated 150,000 dollars to the Cincinnati Museum Association to establish an art museum in the city. In 1886, the Cincinnati Art Museum opened, and became one of the leading art museums in the United States. The Romanesque Revival style building was designed by James W. McLaughlin. In 1881, the Cincinnati Museum Association convinced the McMicken School of Drawing and Design to relocate to the Cincinnati Art Museum. McMicken College later became the University of Cincinnati. The college agreed to turn over all operations of The School of Drawing and Design to the Cincinnati Museum Association. The school became known as the Art Academy of Cincinnati. Established in 1887, the academy has trained artists for more than a century. In 1998, the Art Academy of Cincinnati legally separated from the museum and became an independent college of art and design and has since moved to another location. By the early twenty-first century, the Cincinnati Art Museum contained works of art spanning more than five thousand years. Its holdings include works by Picasso, Matisse, and El Greco. The museum also owns a number of works by Frank Duveneck and other local artists.
Located between Gilbert Avenue and Columbia Parkway (U.S.) and comprised of about 185 acres in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio, Eden Park was assembled by a series of purchases beginning in 1859. The name came, naturally, from the Garden of Eden and was given by Nicholas Longworth who owned a large tract which constitutes the main portion of the park. Eden Park is the home of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Academy, the Navigation Monument, the Capitoline Wolf Statue, and the Irwin M. Krohn (Eden Park) Conservatory. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F07_016_1 Subjects
: Parks--Cincinnati (Ohio); Parks--Ohio--Cincinnati; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Cincinnati (Ohio). Art Museum; Cincinnati Art Museum Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)