: Reverse reads: "College of Music, Cincinnati, Ohio."
The photograph shows the front entrance and iron gates for the dormitory at Cincinnati's College of Music.
The College of Music opened in 1878, with classes for 500 day and evening students being held in Dexter Hall, adjacent to Music Hall. Theodore Thomas was the first director, and he recruited very talented people from around the world to come and teach. In 1884, the College moved into its' first permanent building, The Odeon, which had a 1500 seat theater and a pipe organ. Throughout the 1880 and 1890's as the College and it's reputation grew, more buildings were built. The College of Music established a fruitful relationship both the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, and separately with the University of Cincinnati, during the 1900s. During the 1930s, they had the first collegiate broadcast department in the country, with the opening of its' Radio Extension of the College of Music. The College of Music and the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music merged in 1955 due to declining enrollment at both schools and renamed the Cincinnati College - Conservatory of Music. This new school became the fourteen college at the University of Cincinnati in 1962, and a new complex was built on UC's campus (completed in 1972). CCM flourished as part of the university, and by 1999 renovations were undertaken and the CCM Village built. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F08_012_1 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Dormitories--United States; College of Music of Cincinnati; Schools--Ohio; Music; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)