: Original description reads: "Elsinore Street entrance to Eden Park, Cincinnati, Ohio."
Located between Gilbert Avenue and Columbia Parkway (U.S.) and comprised of about 185 acres in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio, Eden Park was assembled by a series of purchases beginning in 1859. The name came, naturally, from the Garden of Eden and was given by Nicholas Longworth who owned a large tract which constitutes the main portion of the park. Eden Park is the home of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Academy, the Navigation Monument, the Capitoline Wolf Statue, and the Irwin M. Krohn (Eden Park) Conservatory.
The Elsinore Arch (sometimes called Elsinore Castle, or Elsinore Tower) is an impressive stone entrance to Eden Park, with steep stairs leading to the Cincinnati Museum of Art. It was designed by Charles B. Hannaford in 1883 as a result of the Kronborg Castle backdrop for Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” at Music Hall. It was not only intended as an impressive entrance, but also a means for the Cincinnati Water Works to extend the water main supply tunnel, which started at a reservoir in Eden Park. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F09_013_1 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Parks--Ohio--Cincinnati; Parks--Cincinnati (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio). Water Works; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)