: Reverse reads: "Great Water Carnival. Cincinnati, Ohio 1890."
This photographic reproduction shows a long building, with an arched ribbing over a canal. One small and one larger boat hold about 100 people. In the background, there appears to be storage for some wheeled equipment, and a sign which may read "Implements".
Machinery Hall was built from Twelfth (12th) to Fifteenth (15th) Streets just north of Plum Street, straddling a section of the Miami and Erie Canal (at Mile 248) in 1888 for the Cincinnati Centennial Exposition (an industrial exposition) for 300 feet. It was designed by James W. McLaughlin and the waterway beneath this structure was briefly renamed the Venetian Canal. The Exposition began July 4th and officially lasted 100 days, but many events took place before and after. It was well regarded, and considered a success, but hardly made enough money to even cover expenses.
More information needed as to the actual Water Carnival in the photograph, which was apparently held in Machinery Hall before it was dismantled. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F11_016_1 Subjects
: Water carnivals; Carnivals--United States; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Centennial celebrations, etc; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio)--History; Cincinnati. Centennial exposition of the Ohio Valley and central states, 1888; McLaughlin, James W., 1834-1923 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)