Cincinnati Music Hall   Save
Cincinnati Music Hall
Description: Located 1241 Elm Street, Over-the-Rhine, Samuel Hannaford's Venetian Gothic music hall in cherry brick was the fourth-largest such building in the United States. Built on the site of a pauper's cemetery, it is reputedly one of the most haunted places in Cincinnati. Music Hall opened for its first performance -- Beethoven's "Eroica" and Gluck's "Alceste" -- May 14, 1878. North and South wings -- Machinery Hall and Art Hall -- were added in 1879. Current home of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, May Festival Chorus, and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Entered National Register January 26, 1970 (#70000496). Reverse reads: "Music Hall (dedicated in 1878). 'Die Musik Halle' located on Elm and Fourteenth Sts. Taken from 'Cincinnati in Wort und Bild' by Max Burgheim. Cincinnati, Ohio, p. 107." View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F12_014_1
Subjects: Music halls--Ohio--Cincinnati; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Hannaford, Samuel, 1835-1911
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)