: The Cincinnati Conservatory of Music was founded in 1867 as part of a girls' finishing school. In 1902, the Conservatory moved to J. W. McLaughlin's Handy-Shillito house, built for the department store magnate from 1864 to 1866 on the corner of Highland Avenue and Oak Street in Auburn Park. Samuel Hannaford and Sons were hired to design an additional five story building south of the mansion, which contained classrooms, offices and housing.
Between 1910 and 1911 another addition was added, built in brick in the Jacobean style, to provide more dormitories and classrooms. During the next twenty years, several surrounding buildings were purchased as the school continued to grow, and it eventually covered ten acres of land.
With the death of Clara Baur in 1912, her niece Bertha Baur took over direction and in 1930 gave the Conservatory to the Cincinnati Institute of Fine Arts, turning it into a non-profit organization. In 1955 The College of Music and the Conservatory of Music merged and became the Cincinnati College – Conservatory of Music and in 1962 joined the University of Cincinnati. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F13_015_1 Subjects
: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Conservatories of music; Schools--Ohio; Music; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)