: Located 1241 Elm Street, Over-the-Rhine, Samuel Hannaford's Venetian Gothic music hall in cherry brick was the fourth-largest such building in the United States. Built on the site of a pauper's cemetery, it is reputedly one of the most haunted places in Cincinnati. Music Hall opened for its first performance -- Beethoven's "Eroica" and Gluck's "Alceste" -- May 14, 1878. North and South wings -- Machinery Hall and Art Hall -- were added in 1879. Expansion of these wings in 1927 created the Topper Club ballroom, visible lower left.
Current home of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, May Festival Chorus, and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. Entered National Register January 26, 1970 (#70000496). View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B03F12_004_1 Subjects
: Music halls--Ohio--Cincinnati; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Hannaford, Samuel, 1835-1911 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)