: Caption reads "Scene in stacks, Ohio State University Library, Columbus, Ohio."
Photo depicts a man reading a book while sitting at the top of a ladder which is leaning against a bookcase in the OSU Main Library.
The William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library, anchoring the western end of The Oval, is the Ohio State University’s main branch and single largest repository. Also called the Main Library, it was named after the university’s fifth president. The Thompson Library, designed by the Boston firm of Allen and Collens in the Italianate Renaissance Revival style was opened January 6, 1913. Its placement on the Oval was suggested by the Olmsted brothers who had designed New York City's Central Park.
The library has been renovated or expanded three times since its original date of construction. The first addition, a massive extension of the original three-floor structure, the addition of a 10-story tower, as well as single story extensions to the north and south ends of the east entrance. This first renovation was completed on June 2, 1951. The second expansion added an unadorned modern extension to the west wing, finished on January 5, 1977. In July 2006, the library closed to begin the $108 million dollar renovation of the building started on January 10, 2007. The 2007-09 renovation included hazardous materials abatement, replacement and expansion of the 1977 addition, and restoration of the building's original east facade. The library reopened on August 3, 2009, and it was officially dedicated on September 24, 2009. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F02_046 Subjects
: Education; Universities & colleges--United States--1890-1940; Ohio State University. Library; Ohio State University. William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library; William Oxley Thompson Memorial Library; Ohio State University; Thompson, W. O. (William Oxley), 1855-1933 Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)