4th Street in Cincinnati, Ohio   Save
4th Street in Cincinnati, Ohio
Description: Taken September, 1937, from an office in the Union Trust Building, currently known as the Bartlett Building, this photograph shows 4th Street in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. On the left is The Hotel Sinton, a luxurious hotel built in 1907 which included 750 rooms and sixteen dining rooms. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collection for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B04F02_22_01
Subjects: Streets--Cincinnati (Ohio); Downtown; Ohio Federal Writers' Project; Hotels; City and town life
Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)