: Reverse reads: "Cinci., O., 1937. Stadium, Univ. of Cinci."
This photograph show the south end of Nippert Stadium, with Schmidlapp Hall behind.
Nippert Stadium was completed in 1924 as a memorial to James Gamble Nippert, a law student at the University of Cincinnati who died in 1923 as a result blood poisoning from a spike wound received during a football contest. His grandfather, James H. Gamble, a soap manufacturer donated $250,000, as a memorial, to help complete the 12,000 seat stadium.
Home of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats football team, has undergone multiple expansions and renovations through the years. The first was a W.P.A. sponsored seating capacity expansion in 1936, which lowered Carson Field 12 feet and doubled the stadium’s original capacity, now seating 24,000. Renovations again took place in 1954, adding the Reed Shank Pavillon and raising capacity to 28,000. More renovations were completed from 1989 to 1992 which expanded the stadium’s capacity to 35,000.
Schmidlapp Hall was completed in 1910 at a cost of $97,000 by architects Tietig Lee and Garber & Woodward. It was the university’s gymnasium, home of UC’s Bearcats basketball team, and athletic facility as well as housing the University of Cincinnati ROTC unit for a time. In 1995 it was renamed the Dieterle Vocal Arts Center (DVAC) and is the center of nearly all choral and vocal activity for the university’s College-Conservatory of Music (CCM) with many studios and rehearsal rooms View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F04_03_01 Subjects
: University of Cincinnati; Education; Universities and colleges; Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; College campuses--Ohio; University of Cincinnati. Bearcats (Football team); Football stadiums--Ohio; University of Cincinnati--Buildings--Pictorial works; University of Cincinnati. Bearcats (Basketball team); University of Cincinnati. College-Conservatory of Music Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)