: Caption reads: "Plebeians of the River. Taken from the High Level Bridge. Barges and tugs on the Cuyahoga River, Cleveland. District #4, Cleveland. Photographer: John Steinko, 1940."
This photograph shows a Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co. boat hauling cargo long the Cuyahoga River.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company is an American company providing construction services in dredging and land reclamation, currently the largest such provider in the United States. GLD&D operates primarily in the United States but conducts one-quarter of its business overseas. It is currently based in Oak Brook, Illinois.
The company was founded in 1890 as the partnership of William A. Lydon & Fred C. Drews and was named Lydon & Drews dredging company. Early projects included the shoreline structures for the Chicago's Columbian Exposition. The company soon had satellite operations throughout the Great Lakes. It was renamed the Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company (GLD&D) in 1905. Between 1900 and 1950, GLD&D undertook major projects such as the Sabin Lock, straightening of the Chicago River west of the Chicago Loop, the Michigan Avenue Bridge, foundation landfill and reclamation of the area where the Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum, Soldier Field, Meigs Field and Field Museum of Natural History stand today in Chicago and harbor work for the Naval Station Great Lakes. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F08_15_01 Subjects
: Cuyahoga River (Ohio); Boats and boating--Ohio; Cargo ships; Transportation--Ohio--History.; Rivers; Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Company; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)