: Union Terminal, a train station intended for the north end of the neoclassical Cleveland Mall, was relocated to the south and west. Construction of Terminal Tower required the sinking of a 250-foot foundation, the demolition of one thousand buildings, and a massive excavation for railroad approaches along Ontario Street. Completed in 1927, at 708 feet it remained for forty years the tallest building in the world outside New York. The terminal served the New York Central, Erie, and Baltimore & Ohio railroads, as well as local transit; passenger service ended in 1977. The tower complex has since then held a succession of state government offices, corporate headquarters and malls.
Looking north, Cleveland Municipal Stadium in background at left. Reverse reads: "Terminal Tower and Civic Center, Cleveland." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F10_36_01 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Railroad terminals Places
: Cleveland (Ohio) ; Cuyahoga County (Ohio)