: Cleveland Museum of Art viewed from University Circle. The Cleveland Museum of Art is located at 11150 East Boulevard in Cleveland, Ohio and is on the north side of Wade Lagoon. The museum was founded in 1913 and opened on June 6, 1916. The art museum was funded by Cleveland industrialists Hinman B. Hurlbut, John Huntington, and Horace Kelley. The Wade Park property was donated for the museum site by Jeptha H. Wade II. The Cleveland firm of Hubbell & Benes designed the neoclassic building which was constructed of white Georgian marble. The cost of of the building was $1.25 million.
University Circle is bounded by Wade Park Ave. on the north; E. 105th on the west; and the RTA tracks on the east and south sides. The circle occupies 488 acres. It was in 1799 that the land was first settled with the establishment of Nathaniel Doan's tavern at what is now E. 107th St. and Euclid Ave., but was then called Doan's Corners. University Circle began to take shape in the 1880s when Western Reserve University moved its campus from Hudson, OH, to Euclid Ave. in 1883. Case School of Applied Science moved from downtown Cleveland to a location adjacent to WRU in 1885 (eventually to be federated with its neighbor in 1967 as Case Western Reserve University.). In the same decade, Jeptha H. Wade donated to the City of Cleveland a large piece of land that adjoined the WRU campus, stipulating that the land be used as a public park with an art gallery. The name of the area was taken from a streetcar stop on a line running on Euclid to a turnaround at E. 107th known as University Circle. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F10_37_01 Subjects
: Cleveland Museum of Art; University Circle (Cleveland, Ohio)--History--Pictorial works. Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)