: Caption reads "The observatory at Western Reserve Academy, Hudson, Ohio. This is the second oldest in the United States and the instruments were brought here from Europe in 1837 by Professor Elias Loomis. Number 1 on the key map." The Loomis Observatory still stands today and houses the original equatorial telescope, transit telescope and sidereal clock. Established in 1826 as the Western Reserve College and Preparatory School, the college portion of the institution moved to Cleveland in 1882 and is now known as Case Western Reserve University. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B05F02_051 Subjects
: Education; Schools; Science and technology; Astronomical observatories; Telescopes Places
: Hudson (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)