: The high-level bridge connecting Detroit and Superior Avenues above the Flats in Cleveland was, at the time of its construction, the largest double deck reinforced bridge in the world. Completed in 1918 at a cost of over 5 million dollars, the bridge carried automobile and streetcar traffic two-thirds of a mile across the Cuyahoga Valley. Streetcar service ended in 1954; the lower deck of the bridge was opened to automobile traffic in 1969. The bridge was entered in the National Register in 1974 (#74001437). On Veterans' Day, 1989, the span was renamed Veterans Memorial Bridge.
View of Detroit-Superior bridge from west side of the Cuyahoga, looking north; Terminal Tower in distance at left. Reverse reads: "Cleveland High Level Bridge over Cuyahoga River." View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B04F10_40_01 Subjects
: Cleveland (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. ; Bridges Ohio ; Railroads Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)