Kolbe Hall University of Akron Photograph   Save
Kolbe Hall University of Akron Photograph
Description: Kolbe Hall at the University of Akron currently houses the College of Fine and Applied Arts, WZIP FM radio station, and the Daum Theater. The University of Akron was originally founded as Buchtel College in 1870. The school was named after industrialist John Buchtel, who was a prominent figure in the community of Akron and was associated with the Universalist Church. By the early twentieth century, Buchtel College was not as closely linked to the interests of the Universalist Church. The school chose to become non-denominational in 1907. Financial problems caused its trustees to turn the school over to the city of Akron in 1913. At this point, Buchtel College was renamed the University of Akron. In more recent years, the University of Akron has become known for its scientific research in a variety of areas, including polymers and nanotechnology. In addition, it has a number of other strong programs of study, including in the business and legal fields. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F02_053
Subjects: Education; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Universities and colleges; University of Akron; College campuses; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project
Places: Summit County (Ohio); Akron (Ohio)