: Dated August 10, 1939, this photograph shows the rotunda of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums. Two large columns sit to either side of the entrance, and a portrait and roundel of President Hayes hang above the door. A cannon sits in the middle of the room. A note on the photograph's reverse reads "Fremont O. Pillard [?] to Museum Rooms inside Bldg Aug 10 - 30."
Located on President Hayes' wooded estate called Spiegel Grove, the Hayes Presidential Center is the first presidential library and set the stage for the federal presidential library system. The first iteration of the Hayes Presidential Center opened on May 30, 1916. View on Ohio Memory.
: SA1039AV_B12F05_001_001 Subjects
: Hayes, Rutherford Birchard, 1822-1893; Ohio History -- Presidents and Politics; Libraries; Architecture Places
: Spiegel Grove (Ohio); Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)