Ulysses S. Grant schoolhouse   Save
Ulysses S. Grant schoolhouse
Description: Reverse reads: "Caption. Ulysses S. Grant Schoolhouse, Georgetown, Photograph by Gertrude Shockey. This photo must be returned to OHIO WRITERS' PROJECT #8 E. Chestnut St., Columbus, Ohio." The old Grant Schoolhouse at Georgetown O. as it looks today, having been erected in 1804 as nameplate verifies. Gen. and Pres. Grant once attended school in this building now [number crossed out] years old, and proudly commemorated to his memory. Photo by Gertrude Shockey Georgetown, O." Hiram Ulysses Grant was born in Point Pleasant in April 1822. In 1823, his parents moved twenty miles east to Georgetown, where his father opened his own tannery. Ulysses worked in his father's tannery and, from the ages of about six to thirteen, he attended classes in the little schoolhouse on Water Street. The building, built in 1829, consisted of only one room at that time. The teacher was John White, whom Grant mentioned in his memoirs. Later, he attended an academy in Maysville, Kentucky, for a year, and then John Rankin's academy at Ripley for a year. His father then succeeded in getting him appointed to West Point where, through a bureaucratic error, his name was listed as Ulysses Simpson Grant. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B12F06_001_001
Subjects: Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885--Childhood and youth; Schoolhouses; School buildings--Ohio; Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project
Places: Georgetown (Ohio); Brown County (Ohio)