Lanterman's Falls photograph   Save
Lanterman's Falls photograph
Description: Lanterman's Mill is located in Youngstown, Ohio, about three miles south of the center of town. It was built between 1845 and 1846 by German Lanterman and his brother-in-law, Samuel Kimberly. German and his wife, Sally Ann, owned a large tract of land encompassing the area around the falls. Lanterman's Mill was the third mill to be constructed at the falls and was used solely as a grist mill. It is believed that this mill was originally powered by an over-shot wheel, but had been converted to turbines prior to its closing in 1888. Although Lanterman's Mill was a highly successful operation, utilizing three sets of grinding stones, it is speculated that its downfall was due to the advent of roller mills, which were much more efficient and less costly to run. Mill Creek Park, the Youngstown Metropark which now encompasses the mill, was founded in 1891. The park now stretches from the near west side of Youngstown to the southern borders of the city and neighboring Boardman Township. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SA1039AV_B11F10_047_001
Subjects: Mill Creek Park (Youngstown, Ohio); Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Waterfalls--Ohio
Places: Youngstown (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)